Monday, April 1, 2019

VGM Highlights - March 2019

Awesome VGM is no April fools, let's start out with…

a track from Suikoden! Although not my favorite track from Suikoden, it's definitely a very good one, and anything that reminds me of that game is good in my book. Suikoden is a great jRPG that you should definitely check out if you're into that kind of thing. This track was played in the also great Time for Tea with Rhythm & Pixels episode of the Forever Sound Version podcast, in which the theme was to find VGM that is somehow related to tea. I think Michael, Rob and Pernell went about that task slightly differently, and for a tea fan for myself this was great fun to listen to, so I recommend checking out the entire episode. Also, that can't possibly be the actual box art of the game? 😂



Singing Mountain has a Halloween-themed episode that was actually pretty creepy to listen to in the dark - it showcases spooky music from Mario-games. Among them is this gem, Ashley's Theme from Wario Ware, and the original version is much better than the re-arranged version for Super Smash Bros on the WiiU. Seriously, the re-arranged version completely removes Ashley's cool and menacing style, why would you do that? The original is funny and the right kind of edgy though.


Nerd Noise Radio episode 32 plays the Meteor track from Starfox. The interesting thing about this track is that it's right on the edge of being repetitive, but every now and then it'll throw something new in the mix to keep things moving forward, and I always end up listening to the whole thing because I want to hear what comes next. It's got all these neat little sounds moving around and it makes great use of the stereo.


So far for tracks I had already heard before and that might be a bit affected by my nostalgic bias. So not for the next track that is cool as ice and I can't get enough of - Brother Goes Away from the game Ollie King - played in Episode 10 of VGMBassy, which is a showcase of the music by Hideki Naganuma. Extra interesting for me who had little knowledge of his style, and it's definitely quite original. This track is so funky it'll make a stone want to dance.



There ya have it, see ya in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment