Thursday, January 31, 2019

VGM Highlights - January 2019

We've already gone through the first month of the new year, time flies and all that. January can be a bit of a drag, so here are some nice tunes I've come across to light up your dark (if you're situated in the northern hemisphere at least).

First up is something that wasn't new to me, but something I had forgotten about - the great Terranigma soundtrack (and I love being reminded of great soundtracks just as much as I love finding new ones). I have a lot of great memories of Terranigma, and episode #5 of the Singing Mountain podcast dedicated to forest themes, played the forest theme from Terranigma. It's just one of those tunes that makes me all fuzzy warm inside;


Secondly, a track I am almost certain I heard not that long ago on a different podcast, but alas that was before I started these posts. The Diad Presents: A VGM Podcast plays the track "Level 2" from M.C Kids in his episode 33, "Jad the Taff", and it's just such a lovely, bouncy, happy tune that'll definitely make you smile through a snow storm;


I guess I am into happy tunes this month, because another one I want to mention is Robo Factory from The Sims Online, heard in The Battle Bards 130 "Oddballs 2" episode. I've never played any of The Sims games and never wanted to, but I couldn't help but enjoy this funny tune.


And last but absolutely not least is an incredibly cool tune named "Ekans Desert" (presumably completely unrelated to the Pokémon) from the shmupp Project S-11. VGMBassy Episode 2 brings us this one in a great episode, guested by composer Jredd who has also done the intro tune for the VGMBassy podcast, and that one is pretty dang great too. Ekans Desert is a tune that demands your attention. It's almost like a living being, I love how it transforms over the course of the track and how absolutely beautifully it uses the GBC sound. It's one of those tracks I would use as an example if someone asked me what kind of video game music I like (and I have done that already actually).


That's it for this month, but I am going to throw in something special here, a VGM podcast episode recommendation. This month I'm going to suggest the Supernatural episode from Rhythm & Pixels, where Rob and Pernell are guested by VGMBassy host Ed to talk about the Supernatural tv-series and play VGM inspired by the show. Even to someone like me who hasn't watched a single episode of Supernatural, this was a really fun episode to listen to and their joy for the show really shines through and they've got some interesting VGM picks as well.
See ya in February with more great VGM!

No comments:

Post a Comment